Do you struggle finding ways to plan your content across your platforms?
Planning content is one of those things which sounds easy but in reality it is sometimes the painful job of going round in circles trying to identify what new content you’d like to include, what you think your followers would like and most of all what content provides value and is useful for your audience.
Over the past month I have come up with an organised and efficient way to plan out my content which can be applied to any area of content creation whether your a blogger, Instagram account, YouTuber, no matter what type of content you provide the following steps is a efficient way to help plan and track your content.
- First of all make sure you understand your niche and what type of content you’d like to create.
- Next think about your audience who are you trying to reach and engage?
- Do your research! I have spent countless hours scrolling through Instagram, Pinterest and other websites searching for topics and ideas which I could apply to my own site and Instagram account.
- Once you’ve done some research and had a think about what content you’d like to post open up a word document (or paper if you’d like) and write down all your ideas – they don’t need to be in any order this is just a brainstorm!
Now let’s set up your environment for you to work on and the main document which will honestly be your life saver! This is completely down to your own personal preference but I like to use Microsoft Excel for this however there are other alternatives such as word, google docs, google sheets etc. I like to use Excel as I can add my own formulas to do calculations – this relates to tracking content, I’ll get to this part soon.
- Start by creating a table – down the left hand side add your dates whether you’d like to do it daily or weekly its completely up to you.
- Along the top write your key titles for example my document includes: platform, post topic, post type (reel, blog, image), reach, impressions, likes, comments and saves.
- After this I add formulas for each of the columns this is completely down to your preference of if you want your data to be added to each other e.g total likes calculated – if not skip this step. If this is something you’d like to do send me an email or DM on Instagram, and I’ll try my best to help you as soon as I can.
Now that’s all it takes to set up the foundations of your planning and tracking document. From here its as simple as adding in the relevant information following steps like this:
- Go back to the brainstorming document you previously made and start inputting each idea onto a certain day in your planning document. This allows you to have a visual image of what content is going to go up. You can even have a column of what platform you’d like to post this on e.g. website, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook.
- Another beneficial thing to do is colour code the type of post or the the platform so you have an idea of what type of content you need to add more of and what platforms you want to post more on!
Tracking Content’s Progress
Now that’s all the planning done, its time to talk about tracking your contents progress this is a simple way you can have your own way of analysing your content by using the planning document you’ve just created. All of the extra columns such as reach, likes, comments this is where you will track your content. I find the best way to do this is once a week go back over your content and add in the relevant statistics you are interested in. By doing this it allows you to see which content your audience found most engaging and what content didn’t attract many people this enables you to further plan your content to suit your target audience.
Why not try including a table to keep track of your followers over the months as well!
I hope this how-to-guide is helpful and gives you an idea on how you can plan and track of your content in a simple, less complicated way. I have included a template file which is available for you to download from Google Sheets just incase you need some help. Once you’ve downloaded this file you can edit and customise it to suit your brand. If for some reason the download hasn’t worked or your having issues with it please let me know.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask email me at email@example.com or dm me on Instagram and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Thank you so much for reading and have a lovely rest of your week