I can‘t believe it‘s now been over a month since I started this blog and it’s fair to say it‘a been a very long journey to get this blog the way I wanted it. So far I’ve tested out 3 different blogging platforms (WordPress and Blogger were the other two) until I finally settled using Wix. I thought I’d do a post explaining why I started this blog and some tips if your potentially thinking of starting.
Lets start at the beginning, so about 5 years ago now I started my very first blog and I loved it I was reviewing makeup products each week (just like I am now). I spent a lot of time writing the posts, however I was never confident enough to show people it and I kept it a secret to everyone apart from my family as part of me felt embarrassed. Eventually my life had to go in a different direction I had my GCSE’s to revise for so my blog ended at that point.
Fast forward to 2020 and I am back to blogging it’s fair to say it has been a crazy year so far, a pandemic and a lockdown lasting for months was not what I was expecting for the start of a new year. I was left carrying out my university studies all from home which was extremely challenging and looking after my two year old brother so my mum could carry on working her full time job from home. After I completed most of my end of year assignments, I felt completely lost I had no goals and no idea where the future was going to go – everyday was just the same. At this point I knew enough was enough, my mental health was deteriorating as I just felt useless I was no longer doing anything for me or to occupy my mind. After thinking a lot and being encouraged by family and friends, I decided to restart my blog and this time share it with people and actually make this a continuous part of my life – this was one of the best decisions I’ve made. If you have something your passionate about I’d definitely recommend starting a blog even if you don’t publicly show it, its a great way to occupy your mind!
Five top tips:
- Find something you are passionate about and want to talk to people about – this is really important as you don’t want to start a blog about a specific topic that you’ll eventually not enjoy.
- Don’t focus on the amount of followers you have – it’s easy to get swept up in the analytics: how many view each post has got, how many likes, has anyone commented yet. At first it’s going to be slow and this is actually beneficial at the start of your blog your still learning your writing style and trying out all new posts so there is no rush.
- Scheduling – this is so important and saves so much of your time. I schedule all of my posts for Sundays at 5pm (UK time) this allows me to set the posts to go up at a certain time without me having to go on manually to upload it. There is no worrying about missing your time and being a little late as it automatically gets published!
- Write posts in advance – if this is possible I would recommend doing this it saves the worry of rushing to get a post wrote especially if you’ve had a busy week – you don’t need that stress! If you have some spare time use this to write a little bit of a post, it doesn’t have to be a full post just making a small start really helps.
- Don’t compare yourself to others – This is the most important tip I have, I know it’s easier said than done and I’m definitely guilty for this, your blog is your way of expressing yourself so be you! Don’t try to copy others and compare yourself to others, write content you like and want to read and most of all that you are proud of.
I hope this post has been helpful. If you have any questions I’d be happy to answer either leave a comment, email me or contact me via social media. Don’t forget to like, comment and subscribe to be notified when new posts are published. Follow my Instagram @beingbeth_ for regular updates throughout the week.